The History of B. B. Comer Memorial High School
In 1911 Avondale Mills organized B. B. Comer Memorial School as a private, one-teacher school. It was housed in what later became the Avondale Mills Credit Union building. The building was later torn down, and that plot of land has since become a parking lot.
In 1933 the Talladega County Board of Education assumed supervision of the elementary school and in 1936 the high school. Before Alabama implemented a nine-month school program, Avondale Mills supplemented the school term.
In 1937 a new building was built as a Public Works Administration project at the cost of $141,965. Fifty-five percent of this amount and eighteen acres of land were donated by Avondale Mills. Upon its completion the school was one of the largest and most modern in the South. The original campus site covered seven acres, and the front acreage extended 514 feet. The school served 1,350 students with 41 teachers.
The agriculture building was built in 1939 also as a PWA project. This building currently houses the in-school suspension program. In 1941, eight rooms were added to the main building, four to the elementary school and four to the high school.
On March 17, 1993, a fire destroyed nineteen classrooms, six restrooms, the auditorium, the media center, the guidance office, three computer labs, the high school office complex, the conference room, the high school faculty workroom, the yearbook office and the record room. In April 1996 the two-story facility that links the two wings left standing after the fire was completed. The new builidng included a larger auditorium, media center, guidance department and more classrooms. In the fall of 1997, B. B. Comer Memorial School became two schools, B. B. Comer Memorial Elementary and B. B. Comer Memorial High School.